Wednesday 14 April 2010

Experiment - Is ignorance bliss or is a little bit of knowledge a dangerous thing?


I have only recently been introduced to EW analysis. My knowledge comes only second hand from reading Prechter’s Perspective and from reading Andy T, I-Man, CV et al on Traders Anonymous. After a complete lack of exhaustive study I have gleaned 2 insights – movements tend to happen in 3 and 5 waves and waves tend to retrace to Fibonacci ratios before continuing with trend.

Armed only with this knowledge I am going to experiment with some trade ideas on the GBPZAR cross in which I detect an EW type pattern. Apologies for the bad chart – still trying to work out the technology.



I have 3 scenarios in mind ranked in order of likelihood:
1. The recent move down to 11 completed 4 waves down from the Dec08 high. I therefore expect a retrace from 11 to around 11.8 before commencing a further wave down below 11. A close above 11.7 followed by a close below 11.5 would suggest this is what is happening.
2. The recent move down to 11 completes 5 waves down from the Dec08 high and the recent move off 11 is the start of a new uptrend. A close above 12 would suggest this is the case.
3. The move down to 11 was the bottom of a second wave down from the 13.54 high in Aug09. We would therefore expect a retrace to around 12.3 before commencing a strong P3 type wave down to well below 11.

The confusion between 1 and 2 is caused by the move between the Aug09 high at 13.54 and the Mar10 bottom at 11. There were 2 down waves ending at 11.58 and then 11.68. Given that the second low in Jan10 was higher than the Oct10 low I am not sure whether to count this as one wave or two.

The third scenario looks a bit unlikely as it would imply a blow off top in risk assets, although with the right circumstances in gold prices and UK elections for example, we could see a big move in this cross independent of a risk on blow off. A risk off trend in other markets would probably kill this scenario and given the recent congestion near the highs I see this as high probability and hence scenario 3 is low probability.

However I think there is a limited risk trade for all 3 scenarios so I have gone short ZAR 11,300 v GBP 1,000. Stops are set at 11. At present the plan would be to take half the position off at 11.7 but re-establishing at 12 if we continue up above 11.7. If instead we bounce off 11.8 like scenario 1 I will close the ZAR short at the second visit to 11.7 and initiate short GBP 1,000 v ZAR at 11.5 with stops at 11.8. If we continue to go up above 12 I would stay short ZAR until we hit 12.3 where I would tighten the stops to 12. A close above 12.3 followed by a close below 12.1 would bring scenario 3 into play so after a stop out of the short ZAR at 12 I will initiate a long at 11.8.

Let’s see how this little experiment works.

2 comments:

  1. Always intersted in learning14 April 2010 at 12:23

    Banksternation - I have been coming to your site a couple times a week, but first comment.

    Saw your post at TradersAnon, thanks for the heads up about this post.

    Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you find it interesting. Love your work in the comments section at tradersanonymous.

    ReplyDelete