Friday 26 March 2010

Investment thoughts

I will start to discuss some of my investment ideas but thought that my priorities should be on the record. I have a minimum holding period of a month for compliance reasons. This means my agility is somewhat limited and I have found it VERY difficult making money from the short side.

I am also too poor to trade margin which rules out futures, cash bonds and shorting individual stocks. This pretty much leaves me with the what the ETF universe can provide in terms of instruments to trade bonds, rates, commods and equity indices.
However I think this puts me in the same boat as the vast majority of people so I hope that my ideas and discussions will be from a more relevant slant than most of the blogs I follow, whose contributors are vastly more articulate and experienced than me but also have the ability to trade short time horizons and hedge in and out of core positions.

I find the biggest difference for me is that I have to be a lot more certain of the trend from both technical and fundamental perspectives before I enter the position and do not have the luxury of tentative trades with tight stops to avoid the big losses. Would love to hear from anyone who is in a similar situation so we can compare strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment